Monday, January 28, 2008

Mama said there'd be days like this...

What a Monday it was! Just felt like recounting it for the blogger world to join in my pain. So the day starts with me still being completely stuffy, sinus headache, can't taste my breakfast kinda stuffy. However I load up my little teacher rolling cart and decide I can make it through the day and there's so much to do. Looking back now, I realize that I should have turned around when I dropped my rolling teacher cart on my foot when pulling it out of the car, and drop my coffee cup too. Why O' Why didn't I heed the signs. Still determined I start my day. I tell the kiddos, I am not 100% so cut me a little slack, they do, all day! (I have the best students) Well about 30 minutes into our morning we have a visitor to our classroom. Any teachers out there? Then you are fully aware of what I am about to say. EVALUATION! Yep folks, in walks the principal, yellow legal pad in hand to do my 45 minute evaluation for the year. Not only can I hardly breathe through my nose, coughing and sneezing too, but I am also trying to introduce a new math concept this morning. Anytime you introduce something new, total confusion settles in for about one class period and then they start to see it. I thought long division would be the death of all of us, now it may be fractions. Ok so I just keep going and things continue to go south, couldn't pull up some websites that I researched over the weekend cause the school internet was down momentarily (right when i needed it!!) Then my document camera fails, I need more fraction bars to let them work "hands on" ugh! I always get evaluated when I am teaching math and I am pretty straight forward, direct instruction type math person. I don't have anything super cutesy to show off with. Well we survived that and the principal left, hopefully with a little sympathy for me, hey do I get points for coming to work at least!? By lunch time medicine is making me tired, yet not doing a thing for the stuffiness. Well I had a true Costanza moment from Seinfeld, I grabbed a pillow from my reading center and laid down behind my desk!!! I knew I had 30 minutes and that's all I wanted to do! (Hopefully you all remember the episode where George would nap under his desk and he set it up with pillows and snacks etc.) I make it through the rest of the school day only to stay and tutor an extra hour. I finished the day with a bang by leaving work and heading over to the Sachse Municipal Strip Center, you cannot call that place a building and handed over $167.00 to them for a speeding ticket I got last week.


Mama said there'd be days like this!!

6 comments:

Alisa said...

oh no - I am so sorry!!!!! You poor thing! If I didn't feel so bad myself, I would bring you a big ole shot of Nyquil!! (maybe 2)

Kathryn said...

Aww, I feel for you girl!! First of all, does your principal not give you a heads up on when she's coming? That totally stinks if not. We always got to sign up for a time which was GREAT b/c I was always prepared one day out of the year. :) Second, I despise Sachse police....we have handed over way to many checks due to tickets. Several tickets for stickers being expired, not even speeding. Grrrrr.

LeRay said...

No Kathryn, no heads up is given to us. Just the pop in... oh well.

Miles, Allie, Marlee, Mace & Sawyer said...

You are totally Super Mom! Tuesday has got to be a better day compared to that. If not, at least you have your heated mattress to look forward to. I've been dropping hints to Miles ;-) I so need one of those.

Allie

JL said...

I hope your Tuesday was better! If not you deserve a Mental Health Wednesday! Hang in there!

Patti said...

The first year I taught (when I was still getting adjusted to having to wake up so early after sleeping late for 4 years of college) I used to get a big pillow from the reading corner, turn out the lights and nap under my desk during my conference period. One day I forgot to lock my door and the teacher from across the hall came in and caught me. I think she thought I was VERY strange. I don't think the Seinfeld episode had aired yet--which of course would have legitimized the whole escapade! I hope your week is going better than your Monday!