Ok so I KNOW that I need a new post and I KNOW that my posts have been pretty boring lately, so sorry. I think teaching has sucked every creative thought out of me. I went to a workshop on Friday and the instructor wanted us to think of some female in our life that influenced us and what did we remember that person saying all the time...
It was sweet because all I could think of was the many many quotes of my grandmother and none of them were appropriate to share with the group. They are however blog worthy as a small tribute to this very witty woman I wish you all could have known.
"Tis butter to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" this was said EVERY TIME she saw butter or someone asked for butter
You might make the mistake of asking, "what's for dinner?" and she always responded, "chicken, you wanna neck" weird, but funny if you are saying that to your husband.
"She's got a freckle on her but she's pretty"
"Out out damn spot" now I know this is really a quote from Macbeth, but she loved to say it, and
would say it as she let the dog out (not named Spot) or when we were getting out of the car or at many other times. I really think this nice southern Baptist lady just enjoyed getting away with saying damn as often as possible!
"I have been there twice" meaning the first and the last time, this was uttered after leaving some eating establishment that she was none to thrilled with.
Goodness there are plenty more, but my mind is blank (no comments on that please) I will have to add more as I remember them.
What will your kids and grandkids remember you saying all the time? I hope it makes them smile like hers make me!
Here is my absolute favorite picture of her! Moosehead beer in one hand and laughing til she cried!
6 comments:
Here are some other 'isms' that came from your grandmother:
1. Mornings when your grandfather came in and gave her a hug while she was frying his eggs he would ask "How are you feeling?'. Her answer to him "You ought to know."
2. "I need to go the bathroom so bad I am seeing yellow."
3. "If you can't toot your own horn no one's gonna toot it for you."
4. When she couldn't find somehting it was always "In Nelly's room behind the wallpaper."
5. Anytime she saw a woman with a big diamond ring she referred to her as 'Miss Gotrocks"
6. At the end of her life Parkinson's Disease had taken away her ability to make these types of remarks as quickly as she thought of them and she would get very frustrated. I remember one time when she simply couldn't get out what she wanted to say and in her frustration all she could come out with was "OH WRIGLEY'S SPEARMENT GUM". Well that reduced us all to tears of laughter. Still today that particular saying can still be heard from her daughters and granddaughters when that special damn is not appropriate.
Here's to Leverne, 1917-1997
Much love - Mom
AWESOME! I'm sharing this with the ol'hubby!
love you!
sim
Here Here! I'm raising my Moosehead to grandmother's and their incredible ability to drop cuss-bombs and make us all laugh! We need more older folks to do the cussin' for us!
This is so great! Grandparents surely can get away with saying just about anything can't they?:)
This brought tears to my eyes! Grandmas are great!
how very lucky you are to have known your grandmother and to have such a spirited grandmother! she sounds like someone i would have loved to know!
Post a Comment