Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Every day...


Each morning for about two weeks now I go into Jessica's room, while she is eating breakfast, with the intention of making her bed. I know, I know you are all thinking: she should be making her own bed, but that is not what this is about. Save your lectures.

I walk into her room and get stopped short and a smile creeps over my face. This is what she has been doing for a while now. She takes her most prize possession, the item she says she would be sure to get if there were a fire and tucks it in safe and warm for the day.
This is Casey. I don't have the heart to pull Casey outta bed in order to complete my task. Maybe I have issues with personification, I don't know. I just know that I walk away with a little grin at how much that girl loves that little dog and in her 8 year old heart that pup is as alive as can be. I love Jessica's heart of gold towards all creatures alive and stuffed! I guess there is a part of me too that loves Casey for taking care of my little girl through the night, keeping her secrets and wiping away a few tears over the years.
I am sure there will come a day (way too soon) that Casey may end up under the bed or in the closet forgotten by the little girl that is all grown up now, so for now I am going to just forget about making the bed and just enjoy seeing my little girl be a little girl.

6 comments:

JL said...

Oh-that is so sweet! It is just like Toy Story!

Kathryn said...

Precious! I'm tearing up...

Anonymous said...

You know I don't think little girls ever give up their favorite stuffed animal. They hold more secrets than any friend ever could. As we grow up we just camouflage them by stuffing them in a pillow case - less explaining to do that way - right?

I had at least 15 stuffed animals (Sugar Bear was the great protector) that I strategically placed on my bed as I left for the day. They were miracously there when I came home waiting to hear all my joys, gripes and sad stories. LONG LIVE STUFFED ANIMALS!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't be too sure about Casey's ultimate fate. Don't forget that Humpty went to college with your sister. Also, that little girl will always be just that in some very important part of your mind. You can trust me about that.
Love,
Dad

LeRay said...

I LOVE MY PARENTS!!!!!! They rock!!! Thanks for the comments mom and dad!

Alisa said...

I love it!! And I'm so proud of you for being able to walk away from that bed - UNMADE!! Too cute!