If you were at church with me today you saw me very teary eyed. This always bothers my kids but when will they learn that it really doesn't take much. We had our annual high school senior recognition day and each year I think I will be fine, but as soon as they introduce all the seniors and mention where they will go to school, they then have the families come up and Gary (our Pastor) leads them all in a sweet prayer. That's when I cry. That's when I grab my little girl's hand and pray for time to slow down some, or when I do the math and realize my boy is only 7 years away from doing this, and I cry. I am not the only one though so I don't feel too silly.
Then the service begins and I think I am gonna pull it back together. The service we attend is considered "contemporary" meaning we have a band, not a choir. We sing a lot of contemporary worship songs over the traditional hymns. Not today. Today they put an old hymn in and well, it got me. We sang, "Victory in Jesus" today. I will put the words at the end for you. Well, there are two songs that I just love and that's Victory in Jesus and Blessed Assurance. The reason I love them is because when I hear them, I can hear my sweet grandfather singing them in church and humming them at home. WAY off tune, but still a sweet sound. So the tears just fell today as I thought of him and missed him.
I wish I could thank him for living his life in such a way that just screamed out love and grace.
I wish I could thank him for serving his God faithfully to the end.
I wish I could thank him for praying for me.
I wish I could thank him for sharing God with me.
I wish I could thank him for showing God to me.
One day I will be able to...

Yes that's me with my sad attempt at a Dorethy Hammel haircut. I thought looked super cute in that outfit. Hey! Maybe Joshua did get his skinny legs from me. What the heck happened!
Then the service begins and I think I am gonna pull it back together. The service we attend is considered "contemporary" meaning we have a band, not a choir. We sing a lot of contemporary worship songs over the traditional hymns. Not today. Today they put an old hymn in and well, it got me. We sang, "Victory in Jesus" today. I will put the words at the end for you. Well, there are two songs that I just love and that's Victory in Jesus and Blessed Assurance. The reason I love them is because when I hear them, I can hear my sweet grandfather singing them in church and humming them at home. WAY off tune, but still a sweet sound. So the tears just fell today as I thought of him and missed him.
I wish I could thank him for living his life in such a way that just screamed out love and grace.
I wish I could thank him for serving his God faithfully to the end.
I wish I could thank him for praying for me.
I wish I could thank him for sharing God with me.
I wish I could thank him for showing God to me.
One day I will be able to...

Yes that's me with my sad attempt at a Dorethy Hammel haircut. I thought looked super cute in that outfit. Hey! Maybe Joshua did get his skinny legs from me. What the heck happened!
http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/victry.html
Here are the words to the song, complete with music in the background. Sounds just like it did in that South Texas church!
3 comments:
Well I must say you have caught me totally off guard. Here it is a gray rainy day and my computer is running slow. I decide to get filled in on what is going on in my youngest daughter's life and read her "Thank you note". Now with West tears I am flodded with some of the same memories she had yesterday. I love the picture of you and dad. You both had skinny legs! I remember many of the stories that let me know my father was not a saint - to call him that would be to deny some of his most endearing characteristics. I remember as a child the day he had what was termed a 'calling' and he very emotionally re-professed his faith in God and the church. I didn't understand all that at the time but what I did come to know through his example was how he completely and totally gave himself to serving his church. He did it with passion and tolerance. I think these two characteristics are what I keep with me today. It is his life that taught them to me. I don't always succeed, but I try to live up to what I saw in him. My dear daughter you are so fortunate that you were able to make contact with the strength of your Kekaus at such a young age. Some of us don't get it until years down the line. I look at the picture on your Blog and realize you are the age Jessica is now. You are right it goes fast there is no denying that. Your only job as a loving mom is to cherish every moment you have with Jessica and Joshua. I know you do. I love you and thank you for bringing back some great feelings.
Mom
Thanks momma, didn't mean to catch you off guard! Even if I had mentioned it, it wouldn't have made you cry less. See folks the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
I would give anything to be able to visit with him about these things. When I look back now, through adult eyes, I think he had a deep understanding of grace. I'd love to hear his thoughts. Though I have a hunch he would be misty eyed as he spoke about it...
You and Mom stop making me cry!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment