Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Just thinking

With Father's Day approaching the kids and I had gotten a little gift for Chris and it set me to thinking "What's it like to be a dad?" Never really thought about it before, I guess I get caught up in what it's like to be a mom. I know that I will never really know the answer to that, but it was fun to ponder. I thought things like:

How did he feel when I uttered the words "we are gonna have a baby" the first and second time? What did he really think of me big and pregnant? What was it like to be in the room when they were born, I only have the perspective as the one pushing. What's it like to be the hero in the house, the one that can fix what's broken or makes them feel safe when a storm comes? What's it like to get on the ground and wrestle with your boy, while I stand back and wait for someone to get hurt (ha ha) What does it feel like to tuck your little girl in at night and know that at that moment you are her main man? Watching that exchange between the two of them is one of my favorites as a mom! What's it like to be the one that can answer any question about any sport? That one really amazes me. Really he can answer just about any question they come up with. They think dad is super smart! What's it like to feel the pressures of work and also the pressure to leave that at work when he comes home? What is it like to know that you have these kids watching you and learning more from what you do than what you say? (That's true for moms too I know) What's his favorite part of being a dad, what's the hardest part?

I guess I was trying to "step into his shoes" for a moment and think about life as a dad. Empathy is always a good thing and helps us to understand and to think beyond ourselves. Bottom line, I know I can't fully understand what it's like to be a dad, but it was good to try.
Made me very grateful for the amazing dad that my kids have.
http://www.ignitermedia.com/products/sea/singles/628/What-Dads-Cant-Do
check this link out, it's very cute and clever.

3 comments:

JL said...

This is very deep! I think of this sometimes, you are much nicer than I am !!

Anonymous said...

OK now you have made me think of what it must be like to be a grandfather. Here's my top ten list:
1. What is it like to hear "Where's Poppy?" when you call the grandkids?
2. What is it like to be the one who teaches them how to saddle the horse?
3. What is it like to hear "Poppy I want to help?"
4. What is it like to be the one to let them stay up late when they come for an overnight visit?
5. What is it like to be the one who sides with the grandkids when they want to buy something?
6. What is it like to give a life lesson and say to your grandkids "Mucking stalls is a part of the fun of owning a horse."?
7. What is it like to be the one who leads the horse while the grandkids are riding it?
8. What is it like to be the one who says yes to each grandkid request?
9. What is it like to hear "OH POPPY!" when he has said something corny?
10. What is it like to check on them after they have gone to sleep just to make sure they are breathing?
Katty (grandmother)-

Anonymous said...

What is like to be a father? Now, Katty asks what is like to be a grandfather? What is it like? To be a father is, I think, to be the builder of a bridge to the future. To be a grandfather and to have those moments asked about by Katty is to actually get the glimpses of heaven that come from actually getting to cross that bridge and touch a future that goes well beyond the one that I will have in any mortal sense. Interestingly, these moments also let me touch the past at the same time as I am the father and grandfather that I am because of those who helped make me the person I am.
I am a lucky man for this and being a grandfather reminds me of this daily. I am thankful for all who have made this possible.