I have sometimes felt like this parenting thing is sorta like flying a kite, just not as easy. I feel like everytime my kids reach some sort of new level of independence I have to let the kite string out a little bit more and then a little bit more. I cognitively understand the point is to let all the string out eventually, and I also know that if I refuse to let the string out it's gonna snap off anyway. Either way, the kites gonna go up and up.
Well today I had to let the string out a little bit more. Joshua left this morning for church camp at The Heights. It's his first time to go to a full fledged, over night, for 4 nights, camp. Boy was he excited!!
After almost a week of him having to listen to me say things like:
- remember to brush your teeth
- try to keep up with your stuff
- I am only an hour away if you need me
- you gotta eat well
- hang up your towel after you shower so it will be dry
- don't go near the lake without a grown up
The day arrived for him to head off, and I know that it won't matter if he doesn't brush his teeth, loses a few things, or never hangs up his towel. He is going to be just fine, and I think I will too because the kite sure is pretty the higher and higher it goes.
3 comments:
leray,
i am SO glad that you have a blog!!!! now i can keep up with you and your sweet family ;)
let's get together sometime over the summer!
angie
BLOGGING!!!!
Beautiful writing! How was camp??
You are such a wise momma. You inspire me, friend.
Post a Comment