Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Best Birthday EVER

Yep! That's right, today is my birthday. I am 35 years old, but I have decided I am not going to think about age anymore. I still think and often act like I am about 18 so that's all that matters! I look around and think where is the old lady that is driving this blue minivan and toting these big kids around, it can't possibly be me!! I like my fantasy world, I am staying in it and you can't make me come out!

I thought I would take a moment and tell you about the best birthday I have ever had and I know it's the best one I will EVER have. Strong statement, I know, but read on and I think you will understand and agree.

My best birthday ever happened on the day I turned 25. I recieved the most incredible gift that day. It was a gift that changed my life and radically invaded my heart. I had no idea at the time how much joy and love this gift would provide me on a daily basis. I would gladly give up my life for the gift that I recieved that day. It is one of the two most precious things in my life.

You see, my sweet boy Joshua was born on my birthday 10 years ago today. He came 9 days early just to surprise me and share that special day with me. I LOVE sharing my birthday with him. Yes, he is a full decade today. I can hardly believe it and have been teary-eyed over it for several days. It is such a joy and privilege to watch this baby turn into a young boy and now to keep moving toward that goal of becoming the young man God has called him to be.

If I can take a moment (I can it's my blog) I will tell you about this boy. He is smart, funny, athletic and polite, all great things. However as I was pondering him today I was prouder of what I see him becoming on the inside than those things I can see on the outside. He is a kind-hearted person and has an empathy for others that is well beyond his years. He is growing in wisdom in the things of God. I love to hear how his prayers are slowly becoming deeper, more about others and their needs and less about self and wants. I am proud of his honesty and character.



I love the age he is now. I think they should be called the "see saw" years. It's like a see saw, one moment you can see the pull of independence in him as he pulls to grow up and the next moment you can see the push of a young boy still ok with a snuggle from mom and dad. It's a fun time to watch and be a part of.

So no matter what I might get for my birthday today, nothing can top the gift I got 10 years ago!



6 comments:

JL said...

Totally Awesome Blog! I had no idea it was your big day. Enjoy it!

meredith ziafat said...

happy birthday, leray and josh!!! i love yall!

Amanda said...

that is so precious! Happy birthday to you and your super cute son!!

Changed by His Love said...

Yeah! Hope you and Joshua had aweosme birthdays yesterday. It was my sister-in-law's yesterday also. 10 days from today and I will be 30!!! AHHHH! I can't believe it.
Thanks for your encouraging words on my blog...it has truly been the most amazing thing and so exciting!

Pen the Tale said...

aaawwww, love the pic! AND, I believe I met you not too long after Joshua was born sooo, a decade of knowing you - a treat for me!

sweet words...your kids are amazing!

Alisa said...

Such a sweet picture! Both of you smiling so sweetly and I can only imagine what is going through your head at that moment. So much love, fear, exhaustion, and love (did I already say that :o)) all at the same time! Thanks for spending your birthday saving me from my broken car!!