Monday started bright and early. Our first morning here I woke up VERY EARLY to VERY bright lights shining in my face, my first reaction was to be a bit grumpy about that light, but then when I opened my eyes to the amazing mountain view out my window it just didn't seem right to be grumpy about that.




Yes!!
Monday morning started with a pancake breakfast outside. They rolled out this huge griddle and started flipping the pancakes. Literally!!! The cook stood about 15 to 20 feet back and you braced yourself with your flimsy styrofoam plate and kept your eye on the pancake!! I am happy to report the Havard pancake flipping stats:
Joshua had a solid shortstop catch on the first try
Jessica held her ground with strong second effort catch
Chris tried to showboat with a behind the back catch, but missed and had to get back to fundamentals and catch normal
Me I caught mine and gave the fist pump of victory.
After pancakes we spent most of the morning at the recreation center. They had arts and crafts for Jessica and Joshua bowled. I even tried to be "sporty spice" and play a little volleyball with Chris. It's not my favorite, it hurts like the dickens. Really why would we create a sport where we use one of the smallest, least meatiest parts of our body to pound a not exactly soft ball!? So I got my sporty spice on for most of the morning. (Does that count as my training for the Half?)
After lunch we went to the Alpine Swing. The Alpine Swing is this device that you harness yourself to the rope and the rest of the group pulls you up, up, up to about 25-30 feet in the air. Then this other rope gets pulled and sends you into a free fall swing. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!
So Joshua was signed up to go and he did it, no problem, no hesitation (crazy kid) then while we were down there Jessica decided she wanted to do it. I didn't suggest this nor did I try to deter her, it was completely her choice. So she gets all harnessed up and is about to be pulled up and slowly the fearful tears started to flow. She never said, "put me down or I don't want to do this" so she gets pulled up about halfway and still the tears are flowing and I was just feeling helpless on the ground, fully aware that I couldn't do anything, this was her little battle. So "snap" went the rope and down she swung, with a huge scream, then she was ok and enjoyed swinging and twirling around. She claims she would do it again. I think Chris and I were about to bust with pride watching this sweet little 7 year old girl conquer her fear and follow through. I was just thinking about how much we all need a dose of that. Often alot of joy and fun comes on the other side of that fear.
We finished the night playing board games with Wally and Staci and as usual fell into bed and crashed.
By the way if you are still reading my blog, I feel like I am forcing you to come over and watch my vacation slides. Yet this is even better because I don't have to clean my house or fix you popcorn!
Jessica getting hooked up to swing, the tears were starting.
Up, up and away! He's about 3 stories up and I think I was more scared than he was!
PANCAKE CATCHES!FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS (I catch like a girl don't I)
2 comments:
If I had to catch my breakfst every morning I would loose weight for sure! Maybe I will try it!
great pics! can't wait to actually read what all you have to say. sounds like the camp is marvy!
Post a Comment