Monday, August 6, 2007

A step back in time (Sunday report)

So Sunday was our first full day at Horn Creek. I added some pictures of the lodge and views for you to get an idea of things. We had breakfast that morning then church. It was of course different from our regular rock and roll time we usually have at the Heights, but it was sweet to sing some hymns with just a guitar. I got a little chuckle thinking that my children probaby thought these were "new" songs. I am certainly NOT trying to open any sort of debate on worship style, just commenting that I did enjoy it.

Sunday afternoon we got signed up for our recreation activities for the week and then hit the pool and the waterslides. The slides were freezing, but the pool was warmer, at least that was what was reported to me. This Texas girl is not up to the polar bear Colorado water!

The highlight of the day came after dark when they set up the "log roll". We weren't sure what all that was about but the "regulars" sure did seem to be getting excited about it. (There are families here that have been coming for years and have multiple generations with them.) So we head downstairs to the main meeting room and they have this huge log hanging from the giant log beams in the ceiling and two by two they line up grab their pillows and just beat the tar out of each other! First one to fall loses. So we watched a few rounds, then my friend Staci who is the mom of Joshua's friend Caleb (they invited us to camp) get in line to do this strange tradition.

It was so funny. Of course you guys know me and I am acting nice, but of course I HAVE to win
(see post on random facts). Eventually I ACCIDENTLY went for the cheap shot and hit her in the boob, and she started laughing so hard that she fell off. I really didn't mean to, but it made for a very funny story. So then Joshua and I have a go at it and I was playing nice, letting him have a few hits, not wanting to crush the fragile male ego, then he smacks one across my face and it was "ON" after that. I took him down too!!

After that we played in the recreation center where they have bowling, basketball, rock climbing, raquetball etc. Fell into bed about 11:30.

At one point during the log roll, I looked at Chris and said, this is so old fashion. I meant that in a positive way. It was just so simple yet so amazingly entertaining. We are having a good time and enjoying plenty of family time. Check back tomorrow for the Monday report and pics.







6 comments:

Alisa said...

It sounds like you are having a great time and yes, I am cracking up at you and Staci!! I would beat you both! :o) I'm glad you are having some cheesy fun - I'm sure the kids are having a ball and enjoying seeing you guys play along with them. Have you sung Kum Ba Ya yet?

Alpeters said...

Looks like everyone is having fun. I wish I could have been on that log with you. I am sure I could have knocked you off.

Did you have to wear all white to church like we did at Mystic?

Love,
Adrienne

P.S. See I am reading you Blog!

Amanda said...

whoa!! Great tan there!

Shelly said...

I am really wanting to try this log-rolling thing! lol...

And don't worry about the non-posted pictures yet (above post). We'll wait! :)

JL said...

I love it! Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

love your family blogs! found this via the blanket and a bible site posted by your friends. i laughed at the "log roll". in college, i WON the pillow fight on the telephone pole! beat all the other sorority girls. i'll try and post a picture of that day 40 years ago! jan margrave