Saturday, August 18, 2007

Top 10 things I will miss about being home

I am headed back to work. Here is testimony to why you don't use the word "never". I am pretty sure I used it 10 years ago as I jetted out of my 7th grade classroom for the last time. "I will never teach again" I am done, take my stuff, I don't need it. Hmmmmmmm, well fast forward 10 years and here I am again, putting up bulletin boards, and arranging desks. Who would have thought, certainly not me. I am teaching 4th grade at the same school that my kids go to which is approximately 1/2 mile from my house, in the neighborhood. I couldn't ask for a better situation. I did a long term sub job last year and really enjoyed it, and so I decided to go back full time. I hope I still feel this way come Christmas. Well, no matter what you are headed into I think there is still bit of sadness saying goodbye to the past season so I have compiled my list of top ten things I will miss about being a stay at home mom for your entertainment.



10. Shopping during the day during the week when everyone else is at work.

9. dropping the kids off at school while I am still in my PJ's

8. meeting a friend for lunch or starbucks

7. Running errands WITHOUT my children, they will miss this too!!!

6. VOLUNTEERING at the kids school, coming and going as I please.

5. My morning cup of coffee while watching the Today show until Meredith Viera annoys me to a point that I MUST get showered and start my day.

4. Not having a boss. If you know me then you know that I don't like being told what to do. character flaw, I know!!!

3. Working out after I get the kids to school. I am going to have to do it BEFORE school now. People do you know how EARLY this means.

2. Oh this is a big one!! My stay-at-home mom 2:00pm power nap. Many days (not all) I turn on a little afternoon Law and Order on TNT set my alarm on my phone for about 30 minutes and like Pavlov's dog I would here the "bum bum" sound that starts Law and Order and I would be out!! I love a good nap!

1. the number one thing that I will miss the most...
Fridays with my husband!! Since he is off on Fridays it was like and automatic date day, without worrying about childcare. I will be a little bummed every Friday when I know he is home and I am not!!

4 comments:

JL said...

I know there will be ups and downs, but know that you are touching lives and that God has a plan for you to connect with the one special child. You might be the only "light" they see that day. I am here for you!

Anonymous said...

OK so this shows me somethings I passed on to you. As you know I was a stay-at-home mom, too. (wish I had thought of the alarm clock during naps.) Looking back on it this was one of the luckiest parts of my life. You have done a good job!! Your top 10 list looks at what you will miss - I want to point out what you will gain (as I did when I went to work):
1. A greater sense of self and strength you did not know you had.
2. Looking forward to times together and taking those times less for granted.
3. Meeting new people with new ideas and sharing your ideas with them.
4. Looking at the world with a broader perspective - embracing what fits and promptly trashing what doesn't.
5. Knowing you have something of value to offer others.
6. Can't do anything about those naps - I am still looking for those I lost.
7. Can't danything about not wanting to have a boss. You know me and know I view this as a strength.
8. Hey you are getting money for this!
9. Losing control in some areas and getting control in others requires time and patience with yourself as you learn to balance both.
10. Those date days - well they don't go away they just change and from the perspective of an older woman in your life, get better.
ILY - Mom

LeRay said...

I love you momma!! Thanks!!!!!
Isn't my mom awesome! She is the best EVER!!!!! #8 on your list is high on my list!

Amanda said...

aww..that top 10 list was a super cute idea!